Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa
Distance: 12 km / 7.45 miles
Start altitude: 3350 masl / 10990 feet
Maximum altitude: 4600 masl / 15091 feet
Campsite elevation: 3920 masl / 12861 feet
Meals: Lunch and dinner (in addition to Snacks and in the afternoon tea time)
Accommodation: Igloo which are transparent glass Camps like crystal balls.
Pick up from your hotel at 5:00 am. Travel by bus to Soraypampa (4 hours): on the tour you will observe ancient villages, small Inca citadels. Breakfast at Mollepata in a rustic restaurant. Then we will continue the trip until we reach the trekking point, where the mountain guide will join the group and make an offering to the Apus (Gods) with the famous kintu, which is the union of the three coca leaves and begin to make a small ritual as payment to the Pachamama, as our Inca ancestors used to do, to obtain the permission of the Apus and to enter sacred spaces and thus arrive without any problem to the Inca citadel of Machupicchu. After 3 hours of trekking we will arrive to Soraypampa, to our base camp, where you will enjoy a delicious lunch (12:00 pm), with a view to the Salkantay and Humantay glaciers.
In the afternoon (1:00 p.m.) We are going to visit to the Humantay Lake: magical lake of turquoise waters, located on top of the snow-capped mountain, this tour will take 3 hours’ round trip. You will surely be impressed with the panoramic view of seeing the turquoise lake at 4200 masl. 13779 ft. close to an astounding glacier.
After we will return to our base camp (17:00 hrs), where our personnel will we waiting with delicious appetizers, before dinner and then rest in our Igloos, where you will spend the night in transparent glass balls, which will allow you to observe the Milky Way from the comfort of your bed.
Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Wayramachay – Chaullay
Distance: 18Km / 11.2 miles
Altitude of beginning: 3800 msnm / 12467 feet
Campsite elevation: 2750 masl / 9022 feet
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner (in addition to snacks and in the afternoon tea time)
Accommodation: Capsule Trek (hanging capsule in the mountain)
This day you will test your physical and mental strength, since you will walk a stretch of 22 km, but at the same time totally rewarding because you will cross different landscapes from mountainous areas, snowy peaks, cloud forests and jungle scenery, and at the end of this day all your expectations will have been satisfied.This second day starts with an alarm clock at 4:30 am and a delicious breakfast at 5:00 am. At 5:30 am we start our trek for 3 hours until we reach the highest point of the trail, the gigantic snowy Salkantay.
Then we will descend through the desert of stones, for a time of 2 hours until we reach the lunch point, called Wayra Machay term in Quechua which means Wayra wind and crazy Machay.
Continuing with this challenging day, prepare yourself to immerse yourself in the cloudy forest, where you will glimpse flora and fauna, that will leave you amazed and you will be enveloped by the soft melody of the song of the birds that will introduce you to this magical and mystical place.
We will arrive at approximately 5:00 p.m. to our Capsule Trek in Chaullay, where the team of chefs will be waiting for you to offer you a varied and traditional dinner.
Finishing this day of full trekking, you will arrive to another adventure, this time to the capsules suspended in the air, totally transparent, that will be your refuge of rest and at the same time the perfect viewpoint towards the stars and the awesome space.
Day 3: Chaullay – Lucmabamba (Zipline Opcional)
Distance: 18km / 16.1 miles
Starting altitude: 2750 masl / 9022 feet
Campsite elevation: 2400 masl / 7874 feet
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner (in addition to snacks)
Accommodation: Capsule Trek (capsule embedded in the mountain)
This third day is characterized by being relaxing during the morning and full of adrenaline in the afternoon, when doing adventure sports activities and experiencing experiential tourism and agro tourism. On day 3, you will wake up with a spectacular sunrise in the Salkantay canyon, this day will start at 8:00 am with a typical breakfast in the area, then descend from the Capsule Trek, into the lush jungle, coming into connection with nature, surrounded by waterfalls, rivers, colorful mountains, diversity of birds and a great variety of orchids; This tour will take us approximately 6 hours to reach Lucmbamba, where the Capsule Trek are located, suspended in the mountain, in the middle of paradisiacal landscapes, to reach these capsules you must cross a 200 meter long Tibetan bridge, in a height challenge and full adrenaline. Lunch halfway through the trekking. In the afternoon you will experience the famous Coffee Tours, in a local farm. If you want more adventure and fun on this day, we offer you to make our Zipline, considered the highest and the longest in the whole area and South America, with a route of 5500m long, divided into 5 zip lines and 150 meters high, flying at more than 60 Km / h. Dinner at 18:00.
At the end of this day you will have a restful break in the Capsule Trek in the middle of the jungle.
Day 4: Lucmabamba – Llaqtapata – Hidroeléctrica – Aguas Calientes
Distance: 18 Km / 11.2 miles
Altitude of beginning: 2450 msnm / 8038 feet
Campsite elevation: 2000 msnm / 6561 feet (Aguas calientes hostel)
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Accommodation: Comfortable hostel.
After enjoying several days of beautiful wild places full of flora, fauna, snow and glaciers. This day you will have the opportunity to walk the Inca’s royal road, Llactapata, which is part of the road network of the Great Qhapaq Ñan, of the majestic Inca Empire.
This day 4, start with a succulent breakfast, in the capsule suspended in the air, then challenge the mountain Llaqtapata, for a stretch of 2 hours 30 minutes of full ascent to reach the archaeological site, where you will witness the First views of the Urubamba Valley, walking along the top of the mountains.
Then we are going to visit the archaeological complex Llactapata, Quechua word meaning, llaqta, town and leg, high place. In this marvelous place, which is the perfect observatory, you can take the first pictures of the amazing Machupicchu and Huaynapicchu, which no other trekking offers you. At the same time, the mountain guide will give you some scopes of the most important points of what was the admirable and outstanding Inca culture.
Continuing with our itinerary, we will make two hours of hiking down the mountain, which is a different experience, where you will find and you will live closely the reality and habitat of the inhabitants and farmers of the area, ending up arriving at Hidroeléctrica, where we will have lunch.
In this place we offer you two options: 1) Go by train to Aguas Caliente which has an additional cost of 31 dollars, with a travel time of 45 minutes. 2) Continue the trekking to Aguas Calientes, for a time of three hours, following the train track, walking on the slopes of the Machupicchu mountain.
Following the itinerary of this day, during the dinner schedule, the tour guide will organize your income for the citadel of Machu Picchu the next day.
This day ends, with your stay in a comfortable hostel in Aguas Calientes.
Day 5: el día más esperado – machu picchu!
General description of the activity: Visit Machupicchu
Activity level: easy.
The day so expected for all the trekking, the exploration of the citadel of Machupicchu, one of the wonders of the world and in this guided tour you will discover its reasons.
On day 5, you will start to wake up very early to see the sunrise and the first rays of sunlight towards the citadel, which we will arrive by bus (with an additional cost of 12 dollars) arriving in a time of 30 minutes.
Then we will enter the royal Inca sanctuary, where you will feel all the energy of the Andean cosmology and thus initiate a guided tour for approximately 2 hours and feel part of our ancestral culture. Seeing this place of great beauty, which is in the middle of a tropical mountain forest, the sanctuary of Machu Picchu that was the most amazing architectural realization of the Inca Empire in its heyday, you will enjoy its ramparts, terraces and gigantic ramps that the impression of have been sculpted in the escarpments of the rock, as if they were part of it. In this fantastic place every space within it is fascinating, and no matter where you look, you will be amazed.
After this tour, you can go up to Huayna Picchu, it will take you about 3 hours.
We recommend that you return to the city of Aguas Calientes no later than two hours before the departure of the trains to Ollantaytambo, trip that lasts 2 hours, upon arrival at this place, our staff will be waiting for you, to take you back to the Imperial city of Cusco, trip that lasts 2 hours.
- Meeting and description prior to departure: the high mountain guide will give a service itinerary before the Salkantay expedition where he will detail the entire tour until arriving at Machupicchu and return to Cusco.
- Transportation: they will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the starting point of the trek (Challacancha)
High mountain guide: professional in high quality tourism, with command of the English language.
- Accommodation: In mountain refuge (Igloo and capsules in the air)
- Night 1: If you dreamed of a mountain refuge and / or an Igloo of pure transparent glass, to enjoy the best views of the space, on your hike to Salkantay this is your opportunity, and to enjoy from the Snow Slope Salkanatay and Humnatay.
- Night 2: If you’ve ever liked the vertical world and have a spectacular view from the top of the mountains, this is the trek you expected to sleep in our domes hanging on the cliff.
- Night 3: Aguas Calientes hostel.
- Camping equipment: kitchen, tents, tables, chairs and complete menajería, all this carried by horses and muleteers.
- Entrance ticket to Machupicchu: it will allow you to visit the archaeological site.
- Canvas bag: To carry your belongings, 5 kilos per person.
- Load mules: On the first and second day the mules and the muleteer transport everything, on day three and four the luggage will be taken in the car or train.
- Trekking cook: He is the lord of the food, who will give us and prepare us delicious typical dishes of the area during our trek.
- Meals: 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners.
- Snacks on the trek: Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, candies, etc. We will give you this snack at the beginning of each day.
- Medical kit: Our company provides our groups with a first aid kit on the route, an emergency oxygen bottle for height.
- Train tickets: return from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Day 4)
- Transportation: Private bus from the Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco.
- 24-hour customer service: We have telephone service available 24 hours a day.
- Entrance to Salkantay Trail: (S / .10 per person)
- Sleeping bags: You can rent one from our company if you do not have your own.
- Walking sticks: You can rent a game from our company if you wish.
- Day 1: Breakfast
- Last day: lunch and dinner in Aguas Calientes.
- Clothing and personal equipment.
- Travel insurance
- Option: If you feel tired after the walk to and from Llactapata, you have the option of taking a train from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes. (Cost: USD $ 31.00)
What to take?
- Passport and migration card.
- Sleeping bag (-15°C).
- Walking sticks.
- Medium trekking backpack (15 litres).
- 5 long sleeved polo shirts.
- 1 waterproof pants.
- 1 warm pants.
- 1 thermal pants.
- 1 waterproof jacket.
- 1 warm jacket.
- 1 waterproof gloves.
- 1 hat to protect neck and face.
- 1 woolly hat for the cold.
- 1 pair of hiking boots.
- 4 pairs of socks.
- Poncho for the rain.
- 1 pair of sneakers or sport shoes.
- 1 pair of sandals/flip flops.
- 1 bathing suit.
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Water bottle of flask.
- Optional water purifying pills.
- Personal medication.
- Sun block: Factor 70 or more.
- Sunglasses with UV protection.
- Good insect repellent.
- Snacks: Energy bars, chocolate, candies, dried fruits etc.
- Camera and charger.
- Extra money in dollars or soles.
***Make sure you insurance policy covers adventure trips and activities.